Friday, September 21, 2007

Calvinist Metal

There's this Christian metal band, Disciple, that I've thought was pretty sweet for a while, but for some reason I never noticed how Calvinist they are until today. I was driving around listening to them and they have this song, After the World, which is a bit more chill than the others. The chorus pretty much made my day because of how Calvinist it is.

I'm the one that you've been looking for
I'm the one that you've been waiting for
I've had my eyes on you ever since you were born
I will love you after the rain falls down
I will love you after the sun goes out
I'll have my eyes on you after the world is no more

So that's proof that even metal bands can be reformed.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

so the other day, after holcolmb walk, we got in your car (with sathish driving because you were crazy and jumped into the gross goldfish pond) and we were driving along and i asked which shane & shane cd was playing ... and sathish was like, i didn't even know russ liked them, cuz he likes all that metal stuff ...

hmm. this comment sounded better in my head before i started typing it.

so, talk about calvinist lyrics ... today i was listening to caedmon's in the car: "all the freedom in the world could not resist the sweet temptation of Your sweet illusiveness."

Jessica said...

You jumped in the pond by Holcomb? Gross! I like that song that you posted but I didn't know it was by a metal band and I had never really noticed the lyrics but I agree. Very Calvinist.

Unknown said...

idk man,

I've always had the feeling he wasn't speaking to the elect. I could def be wrong, but this song always felt very arminian. Like saying to every person "I've had my eyes on you since you were born".

and that "I'm the one you've been looking for/waiting for" feels an awful lot like "there's a God shaped hole in all of us.".

Now that you mention it, it's possible that it's reformed, and I hope so. I'll check em out.