Thursday, September 13, 2007

Truth and Love

Ever feel like you can never find truth in your love? Or ever feel like you can never find love in your truth? Sometimes I feel hints of truth in my love and sometimes I feel hints of love in my truth but never does it feel even remotely complete, not when I'm honest.

Lately I've been really pushing myself to care about the things I do.
-When I share my faith, I want to feel the pain of the lost person in front of me.
-When I tell someone I disagree with them, I only want to disagree with them if I can feel the pain of seeing them hurt because of what they are believing.
-When I serve someone, I want to serve them not because it brings me merit with God or merit with the world or merit with the church- I want to serve people because its the mission of God to show Christ's glory to the world.
-When I give advice, I want to give that advice with fear and trembling that Christ will be honored- not that people will act like me or be like me. I know this is comforting having others just like me, but lets face it; being like me is not helping anyone.
-When I read a story of someone hurting, I want to hurt; not continue on with my hard heart.
-When I do everything, I want to feel the severity of what is happening around me. I want to remember this is a battle here on earth. Christ wants people to know Him and follow Him to heaven. Evil wants people to know anything besides this and follow him into hell. This is first and foremost the battle we face. I want to feel the severity of this situation and cry out to God for help. I want to cry out.

I am sick of distancing myself from the truth of all love. I am equally sick of securing myself away from hurt by hardening my heart to love.

1 comment:

-joe said...

there's a quote from dostoevsky in the brothers karamazov that goes something like "love dies when you see a man's face"
the guy making it is basically saying that it is easy to love from a distance, through money or prayer, but when it comes to really loving someone through action where you are face to face with them...love becomes so much harder. we want to walk away or close our hearts to the reality of the situation.
-joe